Wednesday, March 15, 2006

What You See Is What You Get


I'm thinking about where I have been, and what I have seen in the past couple of days. Made a three hour drive from Highpoint to the ocean, stayed the night in a place named Southport. Awoke early to a windy morning and stepped outside to walk along the water. Something was floating towards me, so I went to the truck to get the binoculars for a better look; it was a white zippered canvas bag. Where I stood on the bulkhead, I would need a gaff to grab the bag. The bag drifted several yards to snag on some rocks just where the wall tapered, two easy steps down from bulkhead and I grabbed it.
The markings on the wet bag read; "Demo Safety Pac" on one side, and "Life Jackets" in big red letters on the other. While carring the bag back to the deck to finish my coffee, I stoped and looked through a clump of clover for a shamrock. I was thinking a bag of money would be nice... no luck there tho. The contents of the tote: two life jackets, one throwable lifesaver, an orange whistle with lanyard, and a fire extinguisher.
Maybe it's true that you can take the rat out of the river, but never the river out of the rat, I had to smile at what Spirit had sent to me. I'm a totem believing kind of gal, funny, the name of the river...Cape Fear.

10 comments:

Serenity said...

Sometimes, the sprits send messages to us in the most delightful of ways. Then, it's up to us to listen to them.

me said...

Well Hell Susan! I'd take a life-raft over a bag a money anyday!
Now, a life-raft and a bag of money,
that's really pay day!

: )

Serenity said...

Susan, just out of curiosity. Have you heard of Carlos Nakai? I love his music. Listen to it all of the time. It moves my spirt. It speaks to something so deep within me. Just curious if you've heard of him

susan said...

Good Morning!
Have been kinda under the weather with a stomach thing that has sapped my energy. Being sick sucks don't it?
Nakai, native flute player, yes, I had many of his tapes. I use to make flutes, but that was a long time ago, I don't even play anymore.
I guess if I had to be left holding the bag, the one I have is a good one:)
Love that swing under the healing tree Serenity. How new is that, or have I been blind?

Serenity said...

Awww.. Sorry to hear you're not feeling well, Susan. I'm sending lots of healing vibes your way. Get better soon!

The swing is new. I added it last month in memory of Lizbeth's sister, Sarah Jane. She was posting under my entry titled Mopping Up Messes. I think you're the only one who has noticed the new swing.

Don't overdo anything, Susan. Rest up well and I hope you feel better soon hon.

susan said...

I love the new-month-old swing:)
My pine tree has an old tire hanging from a low limb. I used it more as a weather-wind gauge.

Kinda a putter around day, going slow. I'm spray painting a couple of wrought-iron benches. When the wind kicks up...brake time!
Thanks for the good vibes. I'll have to go find and read, "Mopping Up Messes".

Yvonne said...

Hope you are feeling better today, Susan. I hate it when any of my blogging friends are sick or hurting. I know we can't expect to feel grand all the time but feeling poorly does suck.

Enjoyed your story. I think all the items are symbols from the Spirit. Money would have been fabulous but I suspect the Spirit knew what your spirit really needs. Hope you can figure it out.

Have a blessed day, one and all.

susan said...

Thanks Yvonne, I feel much better.

steve turner said...

sue baby,

have you started to regret (yet) moving to this god-forsaken shithole state? in time...

as a northern chick i know said: "these people here aren't real." welcome to the twilight zone...

susan said...

No regrets. Remember, I lived in a cold reality most never come close to.
Nothing but kindness has come my way, and my eyes are wide open.