Thursday, January 01, 2009

Winter Blooms

When it's cold and gray outside, and even the falling snow doesn't seems to have much zeal or enthusiasm, my kitchen engenders the warmth and enjoyment of Spring.
I love to force Narcissus (Paperwhites) bulbs during the Winter months. They are easy to grow, reliable, and only take six weeks to bloom. I like to start a succession of potting bulbs every two or three weeks so my kitchen has a fresh supply of fragrant blooming flowers all Winter long.
If your budget is tight around the holidays, Winter flowers make great gifts. I like to think they add a dash of warmth to rekindle the smiles of friendship. To me, flowering paperwhites stand as a symbol that the cold and snow of Winter will all to soon turn to the warmer winds and rain of early Spring.
And for those few who take objection to the sweet scented aroma of Narcissus...Stay out of my kitchen! :)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great idea and a nice way to pass some time and admire the results. Lovin them par-tay lights.
pk

susan said...

Thanks Panky