Friday, January 01, 2010

What Are Large Canvas Oil Paints Good For?


Had to nail the back door to the cabin closed because the wind kept blowing it open. Several weeks later when it started getting real cold, I nailed a blanket over the door frame. The problem with the front door was a little more tricky to handle. When you can see daylight all around the door jamb, you know ya got a draft problem. When the temperature drops to below zero degrees, and the cold creeps in like unwelcome ghosts, it's time to get creative and come up with a solution fast... can't nail the front door shut for obvious reasons. Well, maybe I could, but then I would have to crawl in and out a window...not real practical. 
So as the snow kept piling up outside, Sarah and me cuddled in front of the woodstove. I thought about crying for a moment or two, then it came to me, use an old painting canvas I had rolled up in the closet.
The good thing is, the painting though not finished (someday I'll get more paint), is rather bright with colour. My painting canvas helps cut down on icy drafts, and it warms my soul with memories of earler times.


3 comments:

Aye said...

Brilliant!!! I like the unfinished artwork, too, great colors!!! If it's fairly securely fastened, I'd imagine it'd be fairly effective, too.

One of the lunch & learns they had at my work last year was one of the guys from my work who also does artwork. Primarily animals, and a LOT of the work he does is large format. He donated one of his works to work, and it's prominently displayed.

Our front door is quite a thermal nightmare (so are the windows, too), although it doesn't get nearly so cold in these parts. It's quite drafty, too, but as a bonus, when the humidity drops low (usually in the summer and early fall), it warps and is very difficult to lock and unlock!!! I've thought of chiseling the top and bottom edges that are affected, but I know it'd make the draftiness even worse!!!

susan said...

Hey Aye! So you like my brilliant canvas?
When it gets below zero here, I'll tack up just about anything to keep out the cold.
My cabin door is metal, so any adjustments have to be made to the door frame... that falls under the category of summer repairs.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful painting and it is sad that you have to use it to keep warm. I sent you a belated card with a bit of help inside. I am paddling with one oar too but optimistic that there is an upstream ahead.

Stay strong.

Pnk