Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Kettle River


The nights are cold now, yesterday I finally got the stovepipe put back together and started a toasty fire. Today I'll ware warm cloths, head up to the ranch for more firewood, and help my friend Johnna pick the last of this years apples.
First, I need to take a short walk and collect some "river sage" and "fresh mint" as well as pick up several pieces of drift wood. I found so many interesting pieces on my last walk that I couldn't carry them all back to the cabin, so I set them on the high bank about where the tall tree is the right side of the of the photo.
On Friday I spent some time shaping, sanding, and linseed oiling one piece. My friend Peter who also works riverwood, gave me a bunch of much needed sandpaper when I showed him what I was working on.
I plan to take some photos of some of them... that is if some trigger happy hunter doesn't shoot me. I have a red sweater to wear, but no red, or orange coat...so it's, be cold and be safe, or say, "What the Hell" and wear my blue down jacket. It's a gray overcast morning, which is good because the cloud cover keeps the ground and air warmer.
I'll be glad when hunting season is over and all the hunters go home. I already miss watching the deer in the field in back of the cabin, they are staying in the forest, coming to the river at night to drink. Most hunters don't walk far from their cars and trucks, they had rather sit in a warn vehicle and shoot a buck in the alfalfa fields. One of my friends who has land on one of the creeks up towards Canada paints orange spots all over her wolfhound to keep him safe. I plan to leave Sarah home this morning, she is white with black spots, a Dalmatian that looks nothing like a deer. Still I'm not taking any chances even though she loves to walk with me along the river.
Wish me luck on this mornings walk!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend...be safe and I'm glad you takin no chances with Sarah too.

beautiful pic
beautiful u

pank

Aye said...

Yea, that's what I thought about the picture, too. Very nice. Best of luck on the walk, may it yield many interesting shapes of fine drift wood, and may the hunters be far repelled from you!!!