Tuesday, January 23, 2007

First Draft

The Captain's arched a brow, his eyes focused on the lizards staring orbs. "Well snaky, shall we play one more hand, say double or nothing?" My eyes widened as I started to rise from my chair. "Sssit down boy." The hisser said as he jerked this eyes from the Captain to me. Normally I would objected, but nothing seemed normal about the tavern, or those seated at the table. I dropped back in my chair feeling hammered. The Captain nodded in agreement. "Hang around sson, you've a lot more to learn, ssschool is just sstarting."
I know what you're thinking... so who won that last hand? Well, who am I to tell all the goings-on in dim lit taverns that are sprinkled through the far reaches of the Rim? I still might be young, but stupid I'm not. It just could be that all the players walked away winners. For me it was a lesson, one I will never forget.
The three across the table staggered down the back alley to their ship docked in the spaceport. Draped around each other for support...three drunken space buddies singing some rowdy song about a lighthouse keeper and a mermaid. To read any more of their words would make you blush as red as the Hisser's tongue.
The Captain and the Hisser are still friends, they have a strange relationship to say the least. For some reason, I believe those two will be famous some day, not that they care for such things as fame or fortune. It's kind of like that first drink...what did the Captain call it? "Grand Mariner", it's the stuff those two are made of.

2 comments:

Aye said...

A strange relationship indeed.... I can't wait to read more!!!

susan said...

Relationship...re, to do over, again.
Isn't that why we're here? To learn and grow in understanding, to look in the eyes of another and know we see the truth of ourselves looking back.
Qui vivra verra...live and learn, time will tell.
Okay, I'll write some more :)