Sunday, January 21, 2007

A friendly Game of Poker

A Hisser stepped from the shadows into the circle of light around the table. I had heard of such creatures, but had never seen one. It was from a far off planet that no sane ship would dare approach much less land on, those that did, (who knew how many) never returned to tell the tale.
The Captain stood, "If it's a friendly game of poker you're after Hisser, sit and be welcome". My knees bounced up hitting the bottom of the table. Fear is a healthy thing when it comes to encounters with a Hisser...so I've been told. With a meaty paw the Captain slowly pulled his laser pistol and placed it on the table so all could see. The Hisser jerked the only empty chair back from the table, his thin tongue whipped across his upper needle sharp teeth. My knees were knocking already, one knee hit the table so hard the glasses shook. With a hand lowered to my shoulder the Captain said, "Easy kid, believe it or not, this Hisser and I go way back". I slowly sucked in my breath trying to calm myself as the reptilian creature snaked its way into the empty chair. With a shaking hand the barkeep placed a glass on the table as far as possible without getting to close in front of the Hisser. "No need for namess at thisss table boyss. Isss that not correct Captain?" The lizard's lips hissed in a cool voice.
The bartender caught an outstretched leg and tripped in his hurry to get back safely behind the bar. Once there, he promptly grabbed a bottle from the rack, poured himself a stiff drink and with shaking hand down it in one fell swoop. All eyes, mine included, flashed back and forth between the Captain and the Hisser. It was apparent as the Captain had said before...they knew each other.
The Captain poured the lizard creature a full glass while still standing, and then sat down. "This is better than that rotgut swill you made me drink in the name of friendship...snaky, and more expensive too I might add. "The Hisser's head went back, it's mouth opened wide as it's body rocked back and forth in what looked to be a belly laugh, gill-folds on either side of its neck flared. "What'ss your ancient human saying Captain? When in Rome... ex cetera". A clear opal membrane slid half across the Hisser's large yellow-green eyes.
My nerves had eased somewhat and the cards were dealt. The first hand went to the big man next to the dealer, a sizeable sum, to say the least. From his accent, short military-cut hair and dark eyes, I guessed him to be a Highlander from the planet Malos. The finesse in his language patterns led me to believe he was from a noble family. Later I was to learn he spent his time gathering information in such outback watering holes to spice up the stories he writes. Although his rough looks seemed coarse, on his home planet, he is widely known. I have several disk-books that bare his name, and so does the Captain...who knows if that Hisser can even read.
We played the game of poker all night. Drinking establishments on the Rim never seem to close. It was morning, the bottle empty, smoke hung thick and moved in opaque ribbons under the low hanging light. I had lost almost half the contents of my money belt, but it was well worth the lesson. All the chips were piled in front of the Captain and the Hisser.


2 comments:

Aye said...

Glad to read the continuing story!!!

I detect something... not exactly friendly... between the captain and the hisser...

Keeping half your cash after a whole night of poker sounds like doing halfway decent!!!

susan said...

This paseo pastiche is a pastiche of a pastiche in writing style, if that makes any sense.
The Captain and Hisser at this point seem to be as different as: day and night, summer and winter, east and west, etc. I think the involvement of the kid is what will make this story different.
The kid might be young and foolish, but he's not stupid.
Thanks for reading this and your input. I'll post more afternoon.