Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ham Bone Magic

Bobby pauses momentarily, almost respectfully, as he places both hands on the counter, and leans forward with his head down. As Mr. Pendragon's apprentice he has spent hours mopping floors, scrubbing pots, peeling vegetables...an experience that was not wasted on him. No one had ever given him a chance before Mr. Pendragon came into his life. Victor was a hard task-master, one had to earn the right to apprentice in his book. Bobby Twofeathers wouldn't give up, he would show up everyday at Pendragons door asking if he could help in some small way. To have a passion to learn about cooking is more than just wanting to cook, it's about loving those you feed, that's where the real magic is.
Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, bobby reaches for the large cut crystal salad bowl, and the fresh herb dressing.
"What weighs heavy on you Bobby?" Victor's hand rest lightly on Bobby's shoulder. "When you do your best you're really in competition with yourself you know. We're here not to judge, or criticize your cooking skills Bobby, but to enjoy and share each others friendship. Food is a good way to do just that. Soon you will understand that the best cooks keep trying to please themselves first. Now into the dinning room with you and let me introduce you to Captain Siskiyu. That man will eat almost anything when he's hungry. By the way, isn't there a ham bone I was saving for stock in the refrigerator? I'm sure Junior would appreciate something to sink his teeth into."
"That big dogs name is Junior? Bruno, or Cereabus, Killer seems fitting... but Junior?"
A low growl comes from behind Pendragaon's big butt.
"Oh!" says Victor. "We were just talking about you."
A curled lip snarl and a rack of white fangs seemed less frightening than the Irish Wolfhounds big eyes that stared directly at Bobby.
"Don't you be drooling on my kitchen floor Junior, or I'll have Gertrude turn you into a Pink Poodle."
Throwing the ham bone out the back door, the Wolfhound was not far behind.. bounding out into the yard as if he were a happy pup.
"He might be big and scary looking my dear man, however, from the stories I've heard, he has saved Captain Siskiyu's life on many occasion."

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I love you and your stories. Can I be an apprentice to your 'cooking' stories...? I imagine I am learning from reading your work as I've come closer in recent months to being willing to elaborate my thoughts to more than poetry. Hmmmm my teacher my friend. ttfn (ta ta for now)

susan said...

Email me micky :)
What do you have in mind?

Aye said...

I eagarly await more...