Thursday, May 22, 2008

Getting The Picture


"If a writer of prose knows enough about what he is writing about he may omit things that will have a feeling of those things as strong as though the writer had stated them. The dignity of movement of an iceburg is due to only one-eight of it being above water. A good wrier does not need to reveal every detail of a character or action." Ernest Hemingway
In todays fast-paced world Hemingway's "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." seems to fit. Flash fiction is snapshot photo in words, ideas and thoughts, something for the mind to savor, like the marrow of a tasty bone.
I remember my dad baking a pan full of beef bones he had brought home from the slatter house where he worked as a skinner. He told me only the very rich knew how to enjoy crackers spread with bone morrow. At the time I thought he was just trying to make me feel better because that all we had to eat. Many years later, as I was reading a menu while sitting in a La Tee Da restaurant in Paris, I remembered what he had said. He hadn't lie to me, and to this day I'm grateful. My dad(Emmit Author)had the mojo as he would say. A magic way of teaching me, that no matter where you are, no matter how rich or poor, food served with soul is love.


2 comments:

Aye said...

There's something I've never tried, munching on marrow... I'll have to put that on a list of things to try!!! BTW, I like the font in this post, a somewhat anacronistic feel to it!!!

susan said...

I have been known to swipe one of my dog's bones laying the yard. I cut them up and carve feathers, arrow heads, whale tails, etc. Useing 50 micron wet grit will polish bone to a high shine almost like ivory. So far I've never sold any of my stories, but I have sold many pieces of bone jewelry.