Friday, July 04, 2008

Afternoon Shadow


It's a beautiful day outside, so quite I can hear the flag snapping in the breeze. A lady who owns the big ranch down the road rode by on horseback not to long ago. She had two cattle dogs with her, so of course Sarah pulled the eye-hook from the post where she was chained. I apologized and drought her into the house. This is open range country where cattle ranchers have the right of way.
"We'll be driving cattle through here later this afternoon. When those folks..." she nods her head toward the house barely visible on the other side of a thick stand of pine trees on the hillside. Her horse steps sideways as she talks to me. "...the ones that had those big white dogs. The ones before those new people with the kids moved in. I would have to call ahead of time to make sure they would take their dogs in when we needed to move some cows."
"Don't worry about Sarah, I'll keep her in the house until you drive the cattle past here. I don't let her run because she might chase the new fawns. She doesn't know any better not to chase deer, or cows."
We talk about her horse. I comment about the horses I had on my small farm in Pennsylvania. I ask myself will the pain ever go away as I walk with Sarah back to the cabin. Do I suffer from envy? Ya.
Later I getup from my writing desk for a cup of coffee, a baby snake of some kind is coiled up on the bricks in front of the wood stove. Quickly I grab a mixing bowl off the kitchen counter and scoop it up before Sarah has a chance to kill the poor thing. Outside I take a picture, then let it go. It scurries into the wood pile. The photo isn't very good, yet it's enough for me to use as identification later. I know it's not poisonous. I'm just curious as to it Latin name.
The breeze picks up, old Red, White, and Blue waves proudly. Many might say I should take her down because she's tattered and frayed. I choose not to because she's the only flag I have. Today is the forth of July, and a raggedy Old Glory is better than no Glory at all.

10 comments:

susan said...

Forgive the editing, I'll correct my spelling and grammar mistakes later, and will post a photo of the baby snake who came to visit.

Anonymous said...

Glad ya saved the snake! phew! Happy Independance day Susan! A day or too late, but you sound very independant all year long. That's a good thing. I envy this in you. and I don't envy too easy.

My flag waves all year and is frayed too, but it's not the point. The stars and stripes and meaning...I'm sure still wave through.

I like the little glimpses into your home...you are living my dream.
:)
pank

Thank you for that beautiful poem

Lilly sleeps soundly
warm and safe

susan said...

Last night I was writing a very long story here about how I got skunked last fall while sleeping in a friends barn taking care of a sick horse.
Yep! Just when I was wrapping up...Blotto! Into another dimention of space.
Anyway, needless to say, the black and white stripe barn cat survived and so did I. Of course I puked a couple of times, then went back to taking care of Junior...who also is alive and well.
I've never raised a baby skunk before. Nursed a little baby porupine to adulthood. You have a litte stinker on your hands.
My baby was sweet and gentle, yet sharp if you rubbed her the wrong way. Kinda like me. :)
Enjoy your little stinker.
I wish you had a camera too.
I would love to see her picture, time flys and they grow up all to soon.
Tell her Aunty Susan sends her kisses.

Ellen said...

Ahhhh Susan I love your stories, and the photos - it looks so lovely there, as I sink further into debt and dream of visiting before the winter sets...I love you.

susan said...

OMG Ellen, please!
Guess I should spend at least a little time cleaning up this hog hole before winter sets in, just in case.
How was your vacation?
I know not long enough.
I've missed you.

How do I introduce you to my blogging buddy Pank? I think you alread know AYE. Any way..ya'll are all welcome here to the window to my world.
If I had been smart when I was making big bucks, I would have bought a B&BL&D ranch for my friends to come and get away from the fast pace outside world. It still might happen, I'll leave the door open to the idea. In the mean time you'll have to lower your sights a bit...this place is far from fancy.
I love you too Ellen.
PS. You're are richer than you realize, and far stronger than you give your self credit. You are doing just what you want to do, other wise you would change. You're being sucked dry in the name of love, and family. Tell me your not the sugar money momma caretaker of grown children.
I can say that because I love you and it hurts me too. If I'm wrong,
these are just words and have no meaning. I don't want what happened to me to happen to you.
Fix the problem before it fixes you.
Do ya still love me? I hope so.

Ellen said...

I will always love you. I appreciate your truth to me. I still want to talk about that email you sent before my vacation. Hi Pank, it's lovely to meet you.

Ellen said...

btw - I've been trying to call you all morning, you must be working online. love.

susan said...

Sorry Ellen, yes I've been on line most of the morning. It's 11:40 here, I'll do some house work instead of computering, you can call this afternoon if you have the time. I was wondering if you were going to mention the email.
Talk to ya soon.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ellen, feel as though I peeped into a, "Tom" situation. Good advice from Susan...universal advice...felt universal to me ..well, depending on the defination of money/wealth...??

sometimes, advice/love/nurture....can be too much too. It's so hard to watch a loved one struggle, but sometimes, it is so necessary for them.

We can give just so much of each other, If it is not recipricated it tends to cause vengeful feelings, which is never good for, or from, anyone...and it looses it's original intention or meaning.

I don't know your situation, and oh, please pardon me. Granny slapped me down for getting too involved with other people's problems...so please forgive me. It's a trait I slip into at times...still.

Sometimes, things strike me for a reason and I just sputter on...

nice to meet you!

Hey Auntie Susan!!!

Lilly Bellerina took a crap-
alina on my favorite shirt-arina!

But I love her so....
"still"

Love pank

Will stop by to read your blog Ellen.

susan said...

It's feels good to be here.