Monday, July 21, 2008

It's An Italian Thing



Are all people touched by something? Does the flow energy take noodles and meatballs?

As my uncle Nick Cucci would say, "Non é tutt' oro quel che luce / All that glitters is not gold, and prestare attenzione/ pay attention."

Uncle Nick helped develop the petroleum fields in Egypt and Saudi Arabia before they were nationalized. He made big bucks and retired to Pebble Beach to play golf everyday. My aunt Vera owned a restaurant in California and drove herself into the back of a stopped eighteen wheeler. She was going over a hundred miles an hour, driving under the influence of alcohol. Maybe with the helping hand of a twelve-step group she could have slowed down and received the help she needed.
When I now gaze up at the night's sky, I believe they wink back at me, my family of many colours and bright lights. My uncle Nick and aunt Vera's lives were filled with the excitement of adventure, the quest for romance, and sad to say, great tragedy. The memories of my family are a tangle of odd ball stories, treasures I hold close to my heart, they feed me when I hunger for love.
Writing, like a good ragú ( pasta sauce) takes hours to create. Good cooking comes with experience, attention to detail and a desire for excellence. Fresh herbs the memories, aromatic spice the artistic verisimilitude that works together to enhance a memorable meal. The unseen garnish is always a touch of love from above.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry bout Vera.

good writing

It's never good to over-do, "the sauce".
pnk

susan said...

Most of my family had the habit of getting pickled in the sauce.
I'm really blessed to be alive and kicking.

Ellen said...

I love you and you are a gem. So is the product of your keying fingers. Tragedy makes great story telling, even if it hurts to revisit. Living life to the fullest and dying young probably beats the safe and bored life of an elder. I'm living my happily ever after although some days are darker than others, I know you are too in many ways. I will come to visit, I just don't know when, and I love you.

susan said...

I know I'll see you again. Who says elders must lead a boring life?
Girl, I plan to have some fun, use all the things I've learned, teach and learn some more.
Tomorrow I'm going to the dentist! I don't know how long it will take for me to pay the bill off, but to save what teeth I have left, it will be worth it.
I look at it this way--- when I see you again, I'll still have my teeth and claws. ;)

I love you too.
Thanks for forgiving me for sticking my nose in you business.
You know me...it's my nature to try and fix things. I'm learning to have more balance in my life.

Aye said...

The picture tempts me to put some lyrics from "When I Dream Of Michelangelo" here, but I shall refrain. My grandfather, at 82 years old, had to be moved to a retirement home with tighter security. They kept finding him going over the wall!!! Unfortunatly, his brains were turning to oatmeal at that point, but he kept on with his adventures.

Ever wonder how many people there are with dental insurance who never or rarely use it, because they hate going to the dentist??? I'm sure it's quite a few. Too bad there isn't some exchange network for that kind of thing.

susan said...

The word "root canal" doesn't sound fun at all. One tooth even at half price can be over a thousand dollars.
My accounts never charged me much when I was in the business, and most of all I trusted them. Not all dentist are the same. I was blessed with the best for awhile.
The good news is I have experance pulling upper molars. They only have two roots, most posteriors lowers have four roots and are much harded to extract.
From what I've been told, I guess I won't have to worry about pulling another tooth.