Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Ladder to Freedom


Two shots and then a single shotgun blast, after that, all hell broke loose. One second after the first shot was fired Jasmyn lunged toward the desk grabbing the 45 automatic. Quickly stuffing the laptop into a military duffel bag sitting upright next to the un-slept-in bed. The kitten crouched and pounced on the bedspread, it’s ears flattened back against raised shoulders. Hurriedly, it too went into the duffel bag, mewing in protest as the drawstring was cinched tight.

“It will be all right little one. Someone has just saved our bacon, as momma would say.”

The rain had not stopped pouring down in over two weeks which wasn’t unusual for early-December, soon the snow would come and blanket California from the mountains to the now SP controlled coastline. She shivered and took a deep breath against the cold rain that drenched her as soon as she opened the window, the icy wind cutting like sharp knifes.

A hail of large caliber automatic machine gun fire ripped an arch pattern from the bottom to the top of the bolted steel door, Jasmyn observed just before she stepped through the hotel window and onto the fire escape. The alleyway for some reason was clear of any local government’s Special Forces Police goons. Still barefoot, she slung her boots around her neck, her best pair of heavy wool socks tucked safe inside the toes. While juggling the duffel bag over her shoulder another spray of bullets peppered the door, punching holes that looked like smoking poker chips. She had lost track of the number of rounds fired, but quickly calculated there must be at lest five, maybe six other shooters in the hallway, not counting the four she had see through the peephole. Two people were firing automatic machine guns. The police didn’t carry machine guns any more. Guns were worth their weight in gold during the first plague ten years earlier, most weapons had been confiscated, or stolen and then sold to rich countries who could afford the outrages prices. No, someone in an underground group was fighting the SP Police, and right now she was still alive and breathing thanks to them. Whoever was in the hallway shooting was giving her the chance to escape. Having a computer, a pistol, and a pet meant a trip to the work camps, or a bullet in the head for being a rebel to the Unified Western Regional Government. Jasmyn Mariana Francisco Sanchez had squeezed through some tight places before, dodging capture as nimble as the animals she had freed in the Green Zones to the North. She prayed this time would be no different.

Starting down the ramshackle fire escape, gunfire erupted below. She could only see the flashes of three barrels firing toward the alleyways entrance. Again she said a short prayer for their safety, and started climbing up toward the roof. If she could make it to the roof, of course she could make it. “Think positive.” She said out loud. Water came down in sheets of cold rain. Ice was beginning to form on the rungs of the metal ladder. “Get you sorry ass up on the roof Francisco.” She said gritted her teeth and wanting to cry. Red neon flashed, blinking from the hotel sign below. The electric humming buzzed like an old Frankenstein movie she had once seen.

The duffel bag felt like a ton, the shoulder strap dug deep in to her bones like the cold rain. Her foot slipped. “You want to die here. No! No! No! Not Here… Not like THIS.” Holding on with all her strength, she carefully felt for and found a rail with her numb toes just as sparks flashed next to right hand. A bullet ricochet, she felt the reverberations shake the cold steel she was gripping. The next bullet exploded into a brick, sending shards flying. She felt a warmth on her cheek and knew it was blood. Exhausted, she struggled with Herculean effort. Looking up, she stretched to grip the rail above. Hearing soft mewing from the duffel bag made her remember she was not alone. With bullets slamming into the wet bricks she continued to scale the slippery fire escape.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Phew! Going from richocheting bulletts and little scared meow's to lazy days of summer and aawwww mic! Thank goodness you have a steel door!

Good lord, I need to wipe me brow!

:)
pee-kinks

susan said...

When I lived in the other cabin a friend in Baltimore sent me a packet of bullet hole decals from PepBoys...I stuck several on my computer screen and the rest I arranged on the cabins metal door. The door looked BAD. Of course it didn't have a door knob, but I found a nice-and-shinny handle at a yardsale for a dollar. I think it was a boat excessary of somekind. No lock on the door, so I used cardboard loyd(?).
The door I have know is 10x better. Somebody ruffed up the paint with a metal grinder for some reason...you know, as if something nasty was spray painted on it, so they just ground it off.

Ya, if I had some more of those bullet hole decals, they would spruce-up the door right nice. ;)

In the mean time, I've been taking apart the stove pipes ta clean them. Talk about a dirty job.
I need to borrow your top hat so I can look the part.
Tomorrow I'll put it all back together again and light the sucker off...wish me luck!

susan said...

PS I'll take a photo of the real bullet holes in the front window. Did I mention I have no curtins, or drapes?

Aye said...

I'd read the whole noir novel this is excerpted from!!!

I've got to re-glaze the windows in the french doors to the basement. It's gotten so bad that there's almost no putty on some of the panes. Speaking of doors, the one from the kitchen to the laundary room has a window in it, with a broken pane. Found one with a non-broken window that'll probably work, but I'll need to chisel out the hinge reliefs to the other side...

This has been Door Talk...

susan said...

Aye, I'll write the book for you, all I ask is for you and Pank to give me feed back as to weither it's interesting and makes sense.

When I first read your comment, I thought you said you had already read the noir novel my blog post was from.
What??? auooyelfm? Because I spent hours writing it.
Then I read, "I'd read the whole noir novel..." Oh! woops!
You know I'm a short story writer, but I can learn to write a novel, just by linking up all the short storys. :)
First things first though...have to clean my sooty stove pipe today and start a fire to see if I put all back together correctly.

Reglazing window panes can be fun, it just takes a little focus. Hanging a new door, or even an old door is an art, and yet that can be fun too.

Now I need to get to work...