Friday, September 26, 2008

Safe Hiding


Jasmyn stuffed several wads of assorted clothing against the closed closet doors; fumbled in a side pocket of the duffel bag, fished out a folding solar light lamp, and punched the activation button. Cool white light flooded the once elegant walk-in closet. Noticing the condition of what remained, she guessed the building had once been a fortress of a local big wig, a food dealer for the area. The lower floors of the building were probably used as barracks for gang, or soldier warriors. Like any other clan organization, a soldier could if he or she were smart and good at doing their job, climb up through the lower ranks to live on different floors of the building. The higher the floor, the higher the rank in echelon, thus the top floors were reserved for the elite. The elite were those who knew how to play the game of staying alive.

The concept was hard for Jasymn to understand although her mother had come from such a clan. Where money and power ruled there was always the need to fight to keep what was owned, or fight and steal more, even if it caused others to suffer and die. Growing up in the Free North West, Jasymn learned early that barter and sharing was the key to her survival. It was her father’s teachings before his death that had kept her alive so far. “Find a need and fill it to the best of your ability.” he would say, “…and you will always have a place to live, and friends who love you. People who need people will always help you if you’re lucky.”

Opening the drawstrings of the duffel bag, the calico kitten sat for a moment licking her paw and cleaning one ear as if he had been casually napping. Jasymn fed him a 3cc syringe of protein and vitamins that had cost her more than she normally paid for her own food. There were six syringes remaining and they had to last until they reached the border crossing. She remembered the first dog she had rescued. Gritting her teeth she cussed, vowing to fight even harder to find and store the precious life saving drugs the rich took for granted. Her food supply was running low: four packets of dehydrated apples and pears, and the rest a various assortment of dehydrated vegetables she had bartered for.
Each sealed packet held the equivalent of five to six pieces of fresh fruit. Even the elite did not enjoy such good food. Knowing the truth of where most food came from, sent a shiver down her spine. "Predigested" had been printed on a label of food cans she had seen in a glass cases of a building called a store museum. No wonder the plagues of illness came to wipe out most of the Americas population. They were eating processed shit with tons of poisonous chemicals to mask the product sold as food. Officials before the plagues came were selfish, uncaring and heartless. The Body Snatchers were called hospitals. In the many years of plagues that occurred between 2188 to the present date, many people died asking for forgiveness from what they called, " the sins of the far-there." Jasmyn's teachers said man-his-story was evil. She wasn't sure if the stories her teachers had told her were true. The one thing she knew, her animal teachers never lied. They always told the truth, and for that she was grateful.
Quickly counting her blessings while munching on a dehydrated ripe pear, the girl opened her laptop, entered the code numbers for the secret under ground channel and typed in a progress report, giving her location as, "The Hot Zone Central California." The keyboard had been damaged so typing wasn’t easy. Struggling, she finished the report and returned the laptop to the duffel bag, then covered herself with a black leather jacket she found in the corner of the cedar closet.

Sleep fell like feathers from the sky, Jasmyn dreamed of laughter with her friends, riding mountain trails on her horse, Stanford Major. Dreams of good times, when living was easy, and all the gentle animals that were her spirit teachers met in green fields of the magic flowers of long ago California were real enough to refresh her.

A tap, tap, tap from somewhere in the wall woke the young girl. Tap, tap, tap then silence, tap, tap, tap tap, again silence, tap, tap, tap. She put her ear to the cedar panel while holding the kitten. Not being fully awake yet, Jasmyn listened carefully. Standing up she started running her hand up and down the wall panel feeling for vibrations. She starting in the corner and working her way to the center of the closet where built-in drawers and shelves blocked the back wall. Switching the solar lamp to high, she stooped low looking at the carpeted floor. There, on the right side of the closet, the carpet seemed to have barely visible markings as if something had been slid across it and had snagged several carpet fibers. Getting on her hands and knees, she looked closely at where the built-in drawers met the back of the cedar panel. She could smell the faint order of fresh air. Then she saw it. A flash, a sparkle reflected back from the light of the lamp. Something was tightly wedged behind the wooden draws and the wall.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like her dreams
I am getting attached to her.
p

susan said...

Can really I trust someone who calls themselves anonymous?

Can I trust "friends and family" who never say anything about my writing, never come to my blog to read my writing, or worse yet, lie and say the do.

Of course when I was making teeth for them, and had plunty of money to spend my value as a person was higher.
Now I write stories and my value as a person seems to be lower...not worth their time.
Givers and takers, I choose to walk in balance and fly with my imagination.
I create to the best of my ability, if it's not good enough for some, it's their loss.
I'm I bitter? Ya god damn right I'm bitter. But the good thing is, my bitterness only lasts a little while, then I'm back to my loveable self.
I'm good enough for me, and I try everyday to be better. What I will not do is get down on my knees for man or woman, or for any concept of their god.
Been there, done that, and it caused me nothing but false hope and pain.

The powers that be is making me watch my dog die.
"Bring it on Mother Fucker!"
I've already been through worse...I may be crying, but I will spit in your face when it comes my time to go. I was born to leave.

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan, just sent you an email and then swung by here to your blog and read your comment. I am the one who left that comment above about her dreams. and I can explain why it's always anonymous, if that makes you feel better.

As I wrote in a private email to you, I am praying for Mic and you. I know prayers mean shit right now and i fully understand your anger. Mic is your family and as most animals do, he has shown you more love and loyalty then your own family.

I wish I could do something to help you and Mic, please let me know

with love and prayers to you and Mic

Laura
pank

susan said...

I which I had a picture of Mic in the show ring to show you. He was a good boy and an Irish champion. I set him free on the river road to heaven. He has many friends there. I will miss him so much.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Susan. Yet, I believe your right Mic is free now of siezures or any pain and he is running free with many other friends by his side. You gave him a wonderful life and so much love. I hope Sarah brings you comfort tonight.
Any animal is lucky to have you love and care for them.

Get some rest

with love,
Pank
(Laura)

susan said...

I hope you guys understand I was very upset, very angery, and bitter. It will take some time to recover.
Thank you Pank for your kindness in understanding.
Now I know I can pull the trigger if I have to. I bundled him tightly in a 1950's white linen table cloth, and layed him amoung the cottenwood roots. I covered him with with river rocks where his body will be safe until the river floods in the Spring.
I know his spirit is on the otherside now, I can only hope he's happy and forgives me.

Aye said...

I hadn't commented sooner because, quite literally, words failed me. Sending my heartfelt condolances seemed trite, but send them anyway I do. Then I got this last night in my mail and thought it did pretty nicely where I was lacking:

"Grief can destroy you--or focus you. You can decide a relationship was all for nothing if it had to end in death, and you alone. Or you can realize that every moment of it had more meaning than you dared to recognize at the time, so much meaning it scared you, so you just lived, just took for granted the love and laughter of each day, and didn't allow yourself to consider the sacredness of it. But when it's over and you're alone, you begin to see it wasn't just a movie and dinner together or worrying over a high electric bill. It was everything, it was the why of life, every event and precious moment of it. The answer to the mystery of existence is the love you shared sometimes so imperfectly, and when the loss wakes you to the deeper beauty of it, to the sanctity of it, you can't get off your knees for a long time, you're driven to your knees not by the weight of the loss but by gratitude for what preceded the loss. And the ache is always there but one day not the emptiness, because to nurture the emptiness, to take solace in it, is to disrespect the gift of life."

I don't think you need to seek forgiveness from your longtime friend, you did a hard thing and showed a final kindness.

Oh, and by the way, I like how the story is developing, but will understand if you take a break from it for a while!!!

susan said...

Thank you Aye...I could feel you near, and understood your not commenting sooner.
This has been a very busy week so far, my friends have really kept me going with outside work before the real cold weather set in. Things that keeps my focus on other things, and that's a blessing.


"You need to come up(their ranch on the mountain top) and cut several more truck loads of wood. Can you help me move a washer and drier today, and later help me pick up 30,or 40 chickens?" Johnna says.

"Sure" I say,

"You coming up tomorrow to cut more wood?"

"Hell no! I've got chainsaw elbo. I need one day to recoop." :)

"Come in and have a beer before you drive back down the mountain."

Lou said he'll put a long bar on my chainsaw the next time I come up. That means I won't have to bend over and rest the saw on my knee.
The other day he had a lot of work to do and came by where I was cutting. Using his saw, he cut three, maybe four times more wood in a quarter the time it was taking me. I said, "when I grow up, I gonna get me one of those."
I guess I'm becoming less a GreenHorn. :)

It's kinda like that movie City Slickers...Here I am stacking wood in the back of my truck(I have to take some photos so ya know I'm not making this up)first the the horses mosy by, then the truck is surrounded by LongHorn Cattle...I mean LooongHorns.
Sarah's like,"OooH Maw! I think I'll just sit up here in the front seat and look at them from here.

Precious new memories of precious moments like you wrote in your comment Aye.

Thank you both Pank and Aye, thank you for being my friends.

Anonymous said...

wow, I just read what Aye wrote, made me cry for my own losses too, just beautiful Aye. Beautiful strong,soft pirate. And thank you Susan for being our friends too.
:)
pank